grub-devel

Re: GRUB booting Mac OS X (xnu)

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: GRUB booting Mac OS X (xnu)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:49:43 -0600

On Oct 26, 2014, at 12:53 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> The error message on your screenshot does not look like coming from
> grub2. Also magic it displays is rather amusing
>
> address@hidden:~/src/grub> echo -e '\x73\x69\x68\x54'
> sihT

It looks like it's coming from the Apple bootloader, not GRUB, and you can also
see screen artifacts in that photo. So some memory or graphics state doesn't
seem right.

However, if I use grub command exit, OS X boots! And it does this using the
identical boot.efi I'm using with chainloader.

> Could you test with earlier versions?

I tested with a GRUB2 2.00 versions from Fedora 19 and 20 and posted those, and
it still fails but differently. I uploaded two new photos for each showing
their different failure messages.

Also weirdly, the GRUB ls command doesn't list files and tab won't
autocomplete; whereas chainloader does tab autocomplete and I'm able to
navigate to the boot.efi file.

And I also note that Recovery HD (Apple Boot partition type GUID) contains two
bootloaders:

/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
/com.apple.recovery.boot/boot.efi

Their sha256sums are identical though.