grub-devel

Re: [Patch] Robustly search for ZFS labels & uberblocks

From: Darik Horn
Subject: Re: [Patch] Robustly search for ZFS labels & uberblocks
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:40:58 -0600

2012/1/28 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:

> I already commented on 10_linux.in changes. They are pretty sloppy. (mostly
> is "it works for me and I don't care about other legitimate configs")

How do you want these things changed?  I searched the email archive
and couldn't find where you gave an example of another legitimate
configuration, or suggested to how improve any of the related
submissions by Robert Millan, Richard Laager, or Zachary Bedell.

Keep in mind that ZoL cannot resolve the grub mdnobj number, or use
the Solaris bootpath or devid.  The only thing that matters on the
Linux command line is the pool name, and everything else is for
interface compatibility with Solaris.

Also note that this code is in the latest ZFS patch:

  if (strcmp (name, "mirror") && !sscanf (name, "mirror-%u", &dummy)
    && !sscanf (name, "raidz%u", &dummy)

That format doesn't match the `zpool status` output on my current
Solaris and Linux computers.  The vdev names now have the RAID level
number and a dash character like this:

  raidz1-0
  raidz1-1
  raidz2-0
  raidz3-0

Additionally, OpenIndiana currently changes an unqualified `zpool
create tank raidz ...` into "raidz1".

--
Darik Horn <address@hidden>