grub-devel

Re: Testing on PowerMac G4

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Testing on PowerMac G4
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:37:35 -0500

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 09:45 +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Pavel Roskin writes:
>
> > However, GRUB starts in the rescue mode,
> > and I cannot do anything in that mode.
>
> In rescue mode, type
>
>     insmod normal
>     normal
>
> That will print the error why the menu is not started, because
> this should have been automatic, or else it will starts the menu.

Oh well, that PowerMac G4 won't work at all anymore (looks like a
hardware failure, there is no video output), so I'm trying it on
PowerMAC G3 (Blue&White).

I copied grub.cfg and kernel.elf to the root of the HFS boot partition
hd:2.  I entered openfirmware on startup by holding Alt-Mac-O-F.  I used
"dir hd:2,\" to check that kernel.elf is there.  Then I loaded it with
"boot hd:2,\kernel.elf".  That's what I got:

grub rescue> insmod normal
error: unknown device
grub rescue> normal
unknown command `normal'
Try `help' for usage
grub rescue> lsmod
Name    Ref Count     Dependencies
grub rescue> set
prefix=(ultra0,2)
root=ultra0,2
grub rescue> ls
(ide0/disk) DISK-LABEL: read of block0 failed
(cd) DISK-LABEL: read of block0 failed
(zip) (ide1/disk) (hd) (utltra0)

My guess is kernel.elf doesn't include the necessary code.  It's about
60k long.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin