grub-devel

embedding filesystems in core image (Re: moving ata initialisation to a

From: Robert Millan
Subject: embedding filesystems in core image (Re: moving ata initialisation to a command)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:54:31 +0100

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 07:04:05PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> > > I'd prefer to support embedding filesystems in core.img instead.  This
> > > solves the problem for every situation instead of just PC boot media
> > > (e.g. LinuxBIOS ELF payload image).
> >
> > Agreed, I would like to see such feature.  Also for stuff like
> > diskless boot.
> >
> > What I had in mind was the following.  We could perhaps make it
> > possible to add all files using grub-mkimage, not only modules.  When
> > you add modules, those will be loaded automatically.  All other files
> > will be ignored.
> >
> > Another filesystem module has to be written.  It scans over these
> > files and will make them available.  This can be simple and elegant.
> > I do not like the idea of adding a diskimage or so.  Are you
> > interested in working on this?
>
> Well, I already have an almost-working implementation.  I guess I'll have to
> defend it then! :-P
>
> Really, it's clean and elegant.  Very simple and flexible.  Once I get the
> address detection right, that is..

Please have a look at the attached patch.  This allows adding an arbitrary
number of files.  No extra filesystem module is needed, since any of the
supported filesystems can be used with this feature:

  genisoimage -o filesystem_image -r stuff
  grub-mkimage -o core.img -m filesystem_image

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)