grub-devel

Re: Switching to git?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Switching to git?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:01:01 +0100

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:36:17AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting Robert Millan <address@hidden>:
>
> >I myself have no objection.  I'd prefer svn, but that's not supported by
> >Savannah yet, and anything is better than CVS IMO.  In the event that we
> >decide to migrate to svn in the future, though, is there an easy path
> >from git to svn?
>
> I believe git-svn (included with git) should be able to do it.  I'm
> quite sure it would work fine for linear history, but things may be
> trickier if branches are used.
>
> However, I think nobody would want to go from git to svn.  Alone the
> ability to work on more than one patch at once is like getting an
> extra dimension, something that very few would want to give up.

Just to make myself clear, I didn't mean to argue that we'll want to migrate
from git to svn (I have yet to build an opinion of git myself).  However,
I think it's very important that we have the option to do it in case we
want to.  Being trapped somewhere you're not fond of is, like, bad thing
you know :-)

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)