grub-devel

Re: Building GRUB on platforms without ELF support

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Building GRUB on platforms without ELF support
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:08:15 +0100

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:29:19PM +0100, Christian Franke wrote:

> It is not so easy:
>
> Cygwin's libbfd, ld and objcopy support elf32-i386, gas does not.
>
> But ld refuses to output elf32-i386 if pe-i386 is the input format. This
> restriction is hard-coded into ld because some pe-specific operations
> are hard-coded into bfd backend (This includes the hack which fixes the
> pc-relative relocation in the executable).
>
> Enable elf32-i386 as additional output format for gas does not work. The
> compilation fails, multiple emulations are not supported on i386 platform.
>
> But even building gas as a cross-assembler does not help. Some assembler
> directives, like symbol type specs, are output format specific. Output
> from Cygwin's gcc produces syntax errors.
>
> Therefore, you would need also a gcc build as a cross-compiler.

Can't the whole toolchain include ELF support as an alternative target?  Kinda
like "-m32" on x86_64.  I don't think it's unreasonable to request that Cygwin
provides this (and it'd probably solve other problems somewhere else).

Have you tried asking the Cygwin maintainers what they think about that?

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)