grub-devel

Grub 2 functionality

From: Scott A Tovey
Subject: Grub 2 functionality
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have two questions.

1. Will grub2 be taking over the hard drive
recognition from the BIOS?

I believe that the Max OS X boots without using
the BIOS hard drive IO. This allows the OS to
boot on any hardware regardless of whether the
BIOS can recognize the entire drive or not.

If GRUB had this functionality and provided the
hard drive parameters to the OS instead of the
BIOS, it would enable many older systems that do
not have a flashable BIOS to be upgraded with
newer hard drives and utilized as low grade
servers or backup storage devices.

Besides the benefit to older hardware, it would
be good for Linux and other OS' that chose to use
GRUB as the boot loader.

2. Is there an installer that would allow me to
install GRUB on my system without having to
install Linux?

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott
  How can you keep God's word if you can't keep your word?
  The greatest enemy of the kingdom of God and to America stands in the pulpit
week after week.
  Every Pastor in America is filled with lies and  deceit. They implore the
people to give them free money to do the work of the Lord. then when the people
have need, they declare. "There is no free money".