grub-devel

Re: multiboot code asking for stubs-32.h under x86-64?

From: Julio Meca Hansen
Subject: Re: multiboot code asking for stubs-32.h under x86-64?
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:15:13 +0200

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 13:59 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:50:07PM +0200, Julio Meca Hansen wrote:
> > hmm... a regression test? but... the only thing that's not behaving
> > properly in my almost-fully-compiled system is the search for
> > stubs-32.h, I suppose the correct behaviour would be to search just for
> > stubs.h or in the excessive case, for stubs-64.h, but as I have a pure64
> > system there's not any presence of 32bit libraries...
> >
> > anyway... if grub-1.95 can support journaled ext3 filesystems, it would
> > suffice to me, but I'm not sure and I was quite afraid of messing
> > something...
> >
> > to be honest, I'm not much of an experienced programmer in linux and
> > performing a regression tests looks like a bit difficult, and you're
> > refering to wine instructions, but my system, to be clear... just needs
> > grub2 in order to obtain the 'stage 1' system status, that's...
> >
> > just pure console linux, no aditional libraries, not any kind of X
> > server, no desktop, and so on... so I need this step successfully
> > fulfilled
>
> Why are you compiling GRUB in 64-bit mode then?  It's not supported yet.
>
> Doesn't the build system automaticaly ressort to 32-bit build for you?

You leave me quite 'impressed' in the desillusional way haha but it's
ok, but try to understand my point of view for a moment...

I have a 64bit capable machine so I would like to have a 64bit system,
the previous time I built my 64bit system, used grub-0.97 because I
actually had a 32bit installation in another partition, so it did the
trick for me, but if I'm going for the *absolute* way I can't have a
32bit bootloader but a 64bit one, that's the reason I want to compile
grub2 for 64bit mode and you have to take into account my toolchain is
non-multilib (at least that's what suggests the installation method), so
I cannot produce any kind of 32bit code, but from the console output is
like I *almost* managed to get it done, just this stubs-32.h
non-existent reference blew my attempt...

And in the installation instructions I posted... they belong to the CLFS
Trac, and if the author (Joe Ciccone) stands grub2 can be compiled with
the given options, at least we can confirm that grub2 actually
*compiles* in pure 64bit mode, but not cvs grub2, that's what I asked
what could I do with this error, just that... :(

Isn't really any solution to this?

Julio