grub-devel

Re: Grub2 on a Macbook.

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Grub2 on a Macbook.
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:12:57 -0300

Eoin Hennessy wrote:
Hello all,

I've been taking a look at grub2 on an EFI Apple Macbook. I've
installed a build from CVS HEAD and I can chainload grub.efi via the
rEFIt loader. When grub loads I'm seeing the 'grub rescue>' command
prompt. As a test, I'd like to chainload OSX's boot.efi using the
'chainloader' command listed at [0] but the command is reported as
'unknown'. I've also tried the instructions at [1] but it allooks like
grub.cfg is being ignored. Perhaps someone could point me in the right
direction.

In May/June 2007 I failed at using Grub2 cvs - efi on my new MacBook too, with the same issue. But I'm using Grub2 with legacy boot sequence to boot... because it understands GPT :) and that works except the keyboard usually doesn't work during boot because of Apple's buggy bios.

I'm not sure if chainloading would work due to grub2 not understanding HFS+ ? I tried putting grub2-efi and a linux kernel image on a FAT16/vfat partition.

Anyway I can probably help test anything if needed.

Isaac