grub-devel

Fwd: Grub2 on Pegasos

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Fwd: Grub2 on Pegasos
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:19:27 +0200

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Grub2 on Pegasos Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:28:18 +0200
Hell[o]

Some time ago I decide to give a try to GRUB on my Pegasos 2 machine
(G4 1GHz, 1G of ram) and generaly it works with some problems.

1) Booting recent CVS snap on OF version dated 2005.12.16 gives me
only "Welcome to GRUB" and "Out of memory" message. After OF update to
half official 2006.10.23 it works, but this version is not official
and most of the machines still use old one.

I checked and GRUB 1.94 works fine on older OF (2005.12.16) and 1.95
gives instant reboot.

2) Backspace key seems to not working in GRUB console (I use cursor
key and del for now) but works fine in OF console.

Put some debug in ofconsole.c shows that getkey() gives 127 for backspace.

3) Most of the Pegasos machines uses small affs partition for boot
images for MorphOS system , but it seems affs is broken for ieee1275.
affs store root not in first block of partition and affs uses
total_sectors field from grub_disk_t, but looking at ofdisk.c:

  /* XXX: There is no property to read the number of blocks.  There
     should be a property `#blocks', but it is not there.  Perhaps it
     is possible to use seek for this.  */
  disk->total_sectors = 0xFFFFFFFFUL;

I change affs to use grub_partition_get_len(). No ideas how correct is
it, but it seems to work here.

4) Grub2 can not load morphos boot images then I added ofboot command
to allow boot using OF interface load, init-program, go.

Attached patch. Sorry about single patch for both affs and ofboot ;(
No time to split this for now,.