grub-devel

error: "no free pages available"?

From: Charles Turner
Subject: error: "no free pages available"?
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:28:34 -0400

Hi all-

After many years as a happy Linux-PPC user, I'm really working to get
Debian running on my Mac Mini. It's a new Core 2 Duo machine.

I'm trying to install Debian Lenny on an external USB disk (30gb) and
have tried quite a few combinations. The most recent and successful is
this:

Get latest Grub2 from CVS and build on Debian Lenny running in VMware
Fusion. Make grub.efi as per the Grub Wiki's "TestingOnEFI" page, with
the addition of ext2 and linux modules to the image.

Partition the disk via OSX DiskUtility to have a 1gb HFS+ volume on the
GPT, the rest free space. Install grub.efi as per the wiki page and
bless.

Boot a recent (09/2007) Debian i386 Lenny netinst CD, chosen because I
believe the EFI support is  on by default in the kernel. Partition and
install a basic system in the free space. Don't install Grub via the
installer.

Reboot holding down the option key, "EFI Boot" USB volume appears,
select and get Grub2 shell prompt. Enter:

linux (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-2-686

which returns:

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x1e00, size=0x142490]

and then:

initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.21-2-686

which returns:

error: no free pages available

. . .

Could someone amplify on the significance of this message? I'm not sure
where to go with this bit of information.

Thanks in advance, Charles Turner