gropdf(1)'s 'Font installation' section is opaque to me

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: gropdf(1)'s 'Font installation' section is opaque to me
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 18:00:09 +0200

Hi,

I find the following section very opaque.

Font installation
     The following  is  a  step‐by‐step  font  installation  guide  for
     gropdf.

     •  Convert  your  font  to something groff understands.  This is a
        PostScript Type 1 font in PFA or PFB format, together  with  an
        AFM file.  A PFA file begins as follows.
               %!PS-AdobeFont-1.0:
        A  PFB file contains this string as well, preceded by some non‐
        printing bytes.  In the following steps, we will  consider  the
        use of CTAN’s BrushScriptX‐Italic font in PFA format.

This mention of an AFM file is the first mention in the page, and has no
information about it at all.

$ MANWIDTH=72 man gropdf | grep AFM
        AFM file.  A PFA file begins as follows.
     •  Convert  the AFM file to a groff font description file with the
        search path.  While groff doesn’t directly use AFM files, it is

So, I'm supposed to know what that file is, and all steps continue from
it.  Well, let's see if it's something easy; maybe a Debian package with
fonts already contains somehting .afm and I can assume it's that what
this manual is referring to.

$ apt-file show texlive-fonts-extra | grep -i tino | grep -i afm
$

Nope.  Can you please explain what I need to do to generate a TINOR file
(or TinosR, or whatever it's called; I'm confused by the naming
inconsistency) from whatever that (or another) Debian package provides?

Thanks,
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>