mom, mm, and PDF files

From: Jan Eden
Subject: mom, mm, and PDF files
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:32:18 +0200

Hi,

after using LaTeX (pdflatex) for several years, I am testing groff (with
mom and mm) to create PDF documents for the first time.

With mom, the process is straightforward: A PDF outline is created
automatically, the TOC entries are linked to the headings, and
additional PDF links can be created according to the docs[1].

It is a bit trickier with mm. I was able to create a PDF outline using a
tip by T. Kurt Bond[2], and a link using the .pdfhref macro – but only
with the native gropdf (groff -Tpdf), which creates really large files
(> 500k). The output of pdfmom, on the other hand, can be piped to
ps2pdf without losing the PDF outline or links (output size: ~ 80k).

Is it possible to

- create small PDF files (via pdfroff or groff | ps2pdf) while keeping
  PDF outline/links using the mm package?
- create links from the TOC to the document headings/sections
  automatically using mm?

- Jan

[1] https://www.schaffter.ca/mom/pdf/mom-pdf.pdf
[2]