Re: mandoc(1)'s man pages, groffed, and Project KIC (was: Milestone reac

From: Lennart Jablonka
Subject: Re: mandoc(1)'s man pages, groffed, and Project KIC (was: Milestone reached: hyperlinked mdoc(7) documents in PDF)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 18:28:13 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
And the page numbers reset at the start of each section.  Which they
shouldn’t do—the book is one unit; it should get its own page numbers.
And in other books, you don’t usually see page numbers per chapter.

This was a bug in me, not in groff.  I forgot to specify `-rC1` when
generating the PDF.  Include it, and one gets 160 pages (using U.S.
letter paper) numbered consecutively.

How come that is not the default?

(“Section” being an older term for “man pages,” if memory serves
right.)

Not as far as I know.  I use the term "document" when it's important to
distinguish between a coherent chunk of man(7) or mdoc(7) with one `TH`
or `Dd` call, respectively, and the face of a (perhaps digitally)
printed "leaf".

The v7 Introduction indeed calls 1, 2, … 8 “sections” and sh(1) and the like “entries.” But v7 man(1) says:

NAME
    man - print sections of this manual

SYNOPSIS
    man [ option ... ] [ chapter ] title ...

DESCRIPTION
    Man locates and prints the section of this manual named
    title in the specified chapter.  (In this context, the word
    `page' is often used as a synonym for `section'.)  The title
    is entered in lower case.  The chapter number does not need
    a letter suffix.  If no chapter is specified, the whole
    manual is searched for title and all occurrences of it are
    printed.

    […]

Also, from volume 1 page iii:

The page numbers of each entry start at 1; it is infeasible to number consecutively the pages of a document like this that is republished in many variant forms.

Huh.  I don’t agree.

Though Courier is as ugly as ever.

I'm glad you brought this up.  I vigorously agree.  I think inline (as
opposed to "displayed" changes of font family are generally a terrible
idea.  And yes, I know some luminaries do it in their books--Brian
Kernighan for example.  But he also takes authorial care with the
clarity and quality of the result.  (I've been enjoying the recent 2nd
edition of _The AWK Programming Language_ lately.)

Also a good point, though not what I meant. I think Courier itself is an ugly type face.

mdoc(7) pages typeset by groff have numerous deficiencies, motivated I
think by some misguided notion that if something was "literal", or maybe
not "literal" but something that a user was going to _make_ literal when
they typed it in (through parametric replacement), it should be
formatted in Courier.

I simply cannot subscribe to that principle.  I reject it violently.

Sure, but it would be a win already to replace Courier by a different fixed-width type face. But that’s site-local configuration, I guess.

It would be better still to replace Courier by a non-fixed-width type face, because we really don’t need to emulate the nonsense typewriters do in print.

I've been tempted more than once to just nuke these "C"s.  I generally
haven't done it, and any such meddling is sure to bring strident
complaint from some quarters.  наб ripped me a new excretory orifice
when I "demoted" the output of `Nm` from bold to normal weight in the
"Name" section of the page.[1]

Dew it!

2.  Again, I have _no_ objection to Courier in _displays_.  And mdoc(7)
   has those.  I'd like to see how far we can get with a strategy of
   assigning these doc-XX-font strings only _style_ changes, and leave
   it to block-structured macros like `Bd -literal`, `Ed` to change the
   font family.  There's a problem to be solved with `Bl`/`El`.  I'll
   need to learn my way around these heavily ornamented macros to grasp
   the shape of it.  Fortunately, examples of usage are not scarce.

I do object to Courier in displays. Courier is ugly. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Even under the fixed-width type faces, there are nice-looking ones. Courier is not one of those. Courier is ugly.