Re: Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encod

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encodings
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:17:53 -0600

At 2024-03-08T20:08:57+0000, ropers wrote:
> Thus spake DaveKempera:
> > This took me a while to figure out at first too, and the procedure
> > gained an extra step since that time (when groff.texi was converted
> > to groff.texi.in to require preprocessing) so it's harder to figure
> > out today: a simple "makeinfo" on the .in file returns errors, and
> > the novice won't know whether that's his fault or the file's.
> > Anyway, here's what I currently use as a quick-n-dirty previewer:
> >
> > sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi.in | makeinfo --plaintext | less
> >
> > This loses all the info-ey aspects of it (to me, a plus), but shows
> > you all the text in a formatted state.
>
> Thanks for the help, Dave -- even if it still didn't get me there:
>
> The file I downloaded and edited, and had trouble even viewing with
> info(1), was the groff.texi from
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/>.
> I don't know where I would find a groff.texi.in or whether that's even
> harder to deal with.

Dave and I are referring to a post-groff-1.23.0 change in groff's Git
repository, where I have renamed the source file to subject it to
preprocessing.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/doc/groff.texi.in

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=99d06510be35d4eac05e3e9a1474a89892d2e168

> It's entirely possible I'm failing at the easier
> problem of handling the groff.texi texinfo file.  First time for
> everything, but I'm not feeling like a member of today's lucky ten
> thousand[0] just yet:
>
> For shits and giggles, I tried your groff.texi.in instructions on
> groff.texi.  Bold strategy, I know:
>
> [lightly edited transcript follows; some whitespace and details removed:]
> $ sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi | makeinfo --plaintext | less
> [1]+ Stopped sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi | makeinfo --plaintext | less
> $ The program 'makeinfo' is not installed. You can install it by typing:
> sudo apt install texinfo
> $ sudo apt install texinfo
> <snip lines>
> ... done.
> $ sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi | makeinfo --plaintext | less
> [less opens and shows this:]
> -:18795: @include: could not find fdl.texi
> (END)
> [edited transcript ends]

If you want to participate in groff development, it will save a lot of
frustration if you set up your working environment as groff developers
do, with a working copy of the groff Git repository and the requisite
tools for building it.  Several text files are available to orient you.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/README
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/INSTALL.extra
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/INSTALL.REPO
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/MANIFEST