Groff documentation: short TOC numbering, and HTML #anchor tag bookmarka

From: ropers
Subject: Groff documentation: short TOC numbering, and HTML #anchor tag bookmarkability
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 05:36:36 +0000

I.

It seems a little inconsistent that the Groff documentation's short TOC
<https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.html#GNU-troff>
does not include the chapter numbers present in the long TOC.

II.

Also, one general issue, not just with the short TOC but in several
places throughout the HTML page, is that the headers themselves are
not clickable or accompanied by a link, which means users who've read
yay far down the page may have to scroll away from where they are, and
go to preceding chapters or sections (or teh hot meal sauce, even) to
try and find a link to that actual section, so they can bookmark their
spot.

I'm not sure if either or both of these issues are fixable in
groff.texi itself, or if this is best fixed in the relevant macro
package.

Sorry for hitting the list with a lot in a short period of time.  I'm
just doing that so it's on the record, lest I forget, move on, and
ignore the issues in question, which some percentage of actual readers
over the years probably has.  Don't feel pushed, put down, or
pressured by this "onslaught" though.  There is no deadline.

Ian