Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encodings

From: ropers
Subject: Groff UTF-8 support? - Groff documentation section 5.1.9 Input Encodings
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:10:39 +0000

Hello there!

Section
5.1.9 Input Encodings
of the groff(1) documentation currently says:

> Input to the GNU troff formatter itself, on the other hand,
> must be in one of two encodings it can recognize.
>
> cp1047
>     The code page 1047 input encoding works only on EBCDIC platforms
>     (and conversely, the other input encodings don’t work with EBCDIC);
>     the file cp1047.tmac is loaded at startup.
>
> latin1
>     ISO Latin-1, an encoding for Western European languages, is the
>     default input encoding on non-EBCDIC platforms; the file latin1.tmac
>     is loaded at startup.

"latin1" sounds awfully ISO-8859-1ish, and (I fear) not very much like
the Latin-1 Supplement Unicode block -- which makes me wonder if
Current Year's groff/troff itself (absent pre-piped converters) can at
all handle multi-byte character sets in general, or UTF-8 in
particular.

Also, this sounds a lot like Current Year's groff(1) even WITH
pipe-connected UTF-8 converters/drivers (which may be what's referred
to at the bottom of that section) couldn't actually support anything
like, say, Cyrillic or katakana or whatever, drastically limiting its
usefulness and any groff-using authors' typographic lexicon.

Am I mistaken?

Thanks for your attention,
Ian