Re: HEAD build failure with OpenBSD yacc

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: HEAD build failure with OpenBSD yacc
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:56:30 -0600

Hi Lennart,

At 2024-03-04T20:35:24+0000, Lennart Jablonka wrote:
> With commit 7b47855abd65 ("Update gnulib submodule."), groff doesn’t
> build anymore with OpenBSD yacc, even with the std::atexit thing
> fixed.
>
> Gnulib headers pretending to be C standard library headers
> (lib/sys/types.h and the like) started requiring to be included after
> config.h.  Turns out, not all appearances of #include directives for
> headers from the C standard library are directly controlled by the
> programmer: OpenBSD’s yacc, for example, starts its output (for
> example, src/preproc/refer/label.cpp) with:
>
>       #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h>

Thanks for the report.  I confess I have no clear idea how to address
this problem.  Is OpenBSD's yacc the same as byacc (with which I've had
many successful builds, including one of HEAD just now), or different?
Does the problem go away if you build with GNU Bison instead?

Is it fair to say that yacc/bison/byacc should not be producing
gnulib-dependent output?  If not, how do we prevent that?  Is this a
known issue others have encountered?

Regards,
Branden