Re: [mom] CAPTION_AFTER _LABEL ignores alignment rules

From: MB2759
Subject: Re: [mom] CAPTION_AFTER _LABEL ignores alignment rules
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:25:24 +0000

> Congrats, you found a genuine bug. I am preparing to push and
>
> upload mom 2-6_c, which will include a fix for the caption alignment
>
> bug, probably before the end of the week. If you're in a terrific
>
> hurry, contact me privately and I will provide a patch. Otherwise,
>
> I'll announce the release on the list.

That's great news, Peter. I'll wait for the release announcement.

> Since you're new to mom, I have some advice concerning your example.
>
> Avoid using blank lines to separate text in mom source files. Put a
>
> period (dot) by itself at the beginning of the blank line instead.

Noted.

> > .DOCTYPE BOOK
> >

> There is no DOCTYPE BOOK. Use either DEFAULT for non-chaptered
>
> documents or CHAPTER for chapters of a book. (DEFAULT is the default
>
> and can be omitted if this is what you want.)

This is a symptom of spending 20+ years with LaTeX which _does_ have a book
document type! Thanks for the reminder, and for noting the role of the CHAPTER
DOCTYPE. Much of my early confusion with using groff comes from reading a
trigger word like CHAPTER, CAPTION or LABEL (see your comment below), and
immediately being pulled into the LaTeX thinking space. This should fade with
time and practice, I hope.

> > .PDF_IMAGE myimage.pdf 5c 5c \
> >
> >  CAPTION "This is the long figure caption." \
> >
> >  SHORT_CAPTION "Short caption."
> >

> While the caption bug is real and will be fixed, your usage here
>
> is a little odd. In the absence of an image LABEL, supplying only
>
> a CAPTION (above or below the image) means that the image is not
>
> included in the List of Figures, which uses LABEL to establish
>
> entries. Furthermore, SHORT_CAPTION is only used in conjunction
>
> with LABEL (in the List of Figures); if there's no label, there's no
>
> short caption either.
>
> If you don't need a List of Figures, your usage does what
>
> you want (or will), but a better way to accomplish it is by using
>
> the LABEL argument instead of CAPTION, styling the label to match
>
> captions.
>
>  .LABELS IMG FONT R
>
>  .PDF_IMAGE myimage.pdf 5c 5c \
>
>  LABEL "Label that looks like a caption."
>
> The output will have the LABEL text underneath the image, as
>
> expected (even though here it serves as a caption) and the image
>
> will appear in the List of Figures as "Label that looks like a
>
> caption."

Well, that explains why I was not getting any entries in my List of Figures!
Thanks for explaining mom's way of handling captions and labels. I confess to
having read the documentation many times but I did not really "get it". LaTeX's
gravitational pull is very strong, and I was always reading the mom docs
through a LaTeX lens, subconsciously at least.

Thanks for taking the time to explain my newbie formatting errors, and for
confirming the bug.

All the best.