Re: Accent mystery

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Accent mystery
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:27:43 +0100

> However, pdfmom is supposed to accept all the same
> options as groff.  Here, it does not, since "-Kutf8 -k" is
> acceptable to groff.
>
>   groff -Tpdf -Kutf8 -k -mom timeline.mom > timeline.pdf
>
> works but
>
>   pdfmom -Kutf8 -k timeline.mom > timeline.pdf
>
> fails.

In the perl script, both "-k" and "-K" options _assign_ the
$preconv variable (which ultimately gets passed to groff),
so the second overwrites the first, leading to the encoding
info "utf8" getting lost.

However, "-Kutf8 -k" feels unnatural to me, whereas "-k -Kutf8"
feels reasonable.  If pdfmom was only tested with the latter
order of options, it would not have been noticed that "-k" got
lost, because it would be implied by groff seeing "-K".

I guess the simplest fix would be to have pdfmom _append_ the
"-k" and "-K" options to $preconv, i.e., replacing

  $preconv=$c;

by

  $preconv.=' '.$c;

at all three occurrences (the space makes sure the option strings
don't run together).  But I have very little experience with
perl, perhaps a cleaner solution exists.