Accent mystery

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Accent mystery
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 10:52:06 -0500

I have been trying to figure this out all morning! I have a handout with
the word "kataskeuê" in it. Every time I try to compile it (groff -Tpdf -k
-ms) I get the warning: warning: special character 'u0053_0326' not defined
(Same if I go the ps2pdf route)

Try and compile this minimal file

.LP
kataskeuê

Do you get a warning, and a weird character in the pdf?

But *this *minimal file compiles just fine:

.LP
kataskeuê êéè

No warnings, all the characters come out correct. What could be the reason?
(Using groff 1.23.0)

R.

--
Robert Goulding
Director, John J. Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values;