Re: More on Tibetan, or rather: ligatures

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: More on Tibetan, or rather: ligatures
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:47:35 -0600

On 1/21/24, Oliver Corff via <groff@gnu.org> wrote:
> Now the question which is not language-specific: In how far can groff
> access these font-internal lookup tables? It appears that the "naive"
> approach does not trigger the ligature mechanism in the font, as
> demonstrated by Tom's and Deri's examples.
>
> Is it possible that every \[u0Fxx] is (perhaps invisibly) isolated, akin
> to putting every character in {f}{f}{l} if you want to make sure in TeX
> that no ligature will spring into action?

It's much simpler than that: groff supports only five specific
ligatures: fi, fl, ff, ffi, and ffl.  See section 5.19.8 (Ligatures
and Kerning) of the 1.23 version of the info manual.  (Curiously, a
more recent revision of this section downplays the significance of
this limitation by citing two specific ligatures that aren't supported
and calling them "archaic.")

There's a feature request open (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64344)
to remove this limitation, but no one is currently working on it.

The mildly good news is that groff can access any glyph in a font,
whether or not groff recognizes it as a ligature.  For instance, the
Linux Libertine font defines a ligature for "Qu".  Groff won't invoke
it automatically, but looking in the font description file reveals
that this character is named u0051_0075, so groff can access it with
the escape \[u0051_0075].

Some glyphs in the font description file may not have names, however
(indicated by the first column of its entry being "---"), but groff
can produce even unnamed glyphs in a font with its \N escape.

Groff's .char request can make the syntax less clunky (e.g., for the
Qu ligature cited above, you could say ".char Qu \[u0051_0075]"), but
until its native ligature handling is expanded beyond its current
five, you'll still want a custom preprocessor (e.g., to change every
"Qu" in your input text to "\[Qu]" for that .char definition to work).

> Yet instead of producing the letter "f", \[u0066] generates an error
> message:  "warning: special character '\f' not defined"
>
> Where is my mistake?

This seems to be a groff bug: I reported it in
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63334 but it's not a high priority.

The reason it's not a high priority is that groff does not claim to
support representing ASCII characters in \[u00xx] format.  Even so,
groff isn't correctly parsing here, because there should be no way for
the sequence "\[u0066]" to translate to "\f": the entire string
"\[u0066]" should either translate to "f", or be undefined.