Re: [TUHS] Re: Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Re: Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 04:50:01 +1100

> https://usenet.trashworldnews.com/?thread=614089 posted February 1988
> Perl Kit, Version 1.0, Copyright (c) 1987, Larry Wall

Excuse my Roff,[1] but holy f\*(&#g shit. Is this where it all started? Did
one of my favourite programming languages begin with this very newsgroup
post? D—amn. Thanks for sharing!

> You might consider, as an initial step, just not bothering with stdio.

You're right, actually. System calls should be enough. I'm too used to
relying on C's standard library, heh.

> Much of my programming career has been a repeated series of lessons in
> decomposing problems into almost ridiculously small components.

 You'd love PostScript then, because once you grok it, it feels like
learning to code for the first time all over again. It forces you to
approach problem-solving and programming differently, because the solutions
you're normally used to writing in C-based languages are often dead weight
in PostScript.

I'd love to babble about PostScript further, but I've already derailed this
thread far enough, so… end of diatribe.

[1] .ds &# uckin