Re: Proposed: make \X read its argument in copy mode

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Proposed: make \X read its argument in copy mode
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:38:35 +0100

> > \fB\s(12\m[red]\X'ps: big bold red text in my device command'\fP

> \X'ps: exec 1.0 0 0 setrgbcolor /Times-Bold findfont \n[.s] scalefont setfont
> (Text) show'

This assumes you know both the desired font and the desired
color, which might be defined at other places in the document
and not under your control.  Thus, unless you need multiple
colors/fonts/sizes within the device code, it is probably more
practical to set theses outside, as in Branden's original sketch.

Here is a possibly useful example:

  .defcolor my-outline-color rgb 0.9 0 0.7
  .fp 4 BI LinLibertineOBI
  .\" ------------------------------------------------
  .de outline
  \Z'\N'32''\X'ps: exec \\n(.s 0.01 mul setlinewidth (\\$1) true charpath
stroke'\h'\w'\\$1'u'
  ..
  .\" ------------------------------------------------
  Here is some
  .gcolor my-outline-color
  .ft BI
  .outline outlined\/
  .gcolor
  .ft
  text.

(Note that this code is not optimal, in particular because
grops does not set the font unless it is outputting something,
necessitating the hack of printing an explicit space with
\N'32' in order to get grops to set the desired font.)