Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:11:32 +1100

On 8/1/24 19:49, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Nine years seems like long enough to wait to resurrect this thread.

At 2015-01-20T19:57:25-0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:

I recoil from text infected with capital pox, and don't see small caps as
much improvement. They do make sense in all-caps text, but sporadic
S\s-2MALL\s0 C\s-2APS\s0 or anything like it is not a cure for the pox.

I agree with Branden, especially as there are a number of good quality type1 font families that have a "proper" small caps font.

I think that a long time ago groff moved on from being purely a method of typesetting technical documents. Why should we munge small caps from standard fonts (and earn Doug's ire) when there are genuine small caps that we should be using when we need them.

Of course, Gaius Mulley's superb dropcaps macro would need revision. :-)

Robert Thorsby