[heirloom] typesetting unicode characters

From: Fernando
Subject: [heirloom] typesetting unicode characters
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 01:48:29 GMT

Greetings,

I am typesetting an old textbook on latin from Project
Gutenberg which uses latin scripts such as an a with a
macron which has u+0101. According to the Groff
online documentation[1] and this stackexchange board[2],
one can type unicode characters in the form of
\[uxxxx]. So in this case, one could typset the
lowercase a with macron with \[u0101]. This, however,
did not print the character in the postscript document[3],
and I can't tell if was in the troff dvi but I have
uploaded the source here[4]. My next best guess was to
check if the font supported such characters. Using
``
fc-match -s -f '%{file}\n' ':charset=0101'
``
I found that DejaVuSans and LinLibertine_R did support this
character. I was able to double check this with this
site that displays fonts that support that character[5].
Perhaps my understanding of how to type unicode characters
is incorrect. Or there is something wrong with the fonts I
have tried (in which case, I would have no problem switching
to another one). It is also possible that unicode characters
are typeset differently in heirloom troff than in groff. I
could not find anything that shows how to do unicode in
heirloom troff so I just assumed it was the same as in
groff. Any help would be appreciated.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.html.node/Using-Symbols.html
[2]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/648352/are-%E2%88%88-and-%E2%84%9D-symbols-available-in-eqn-roff