Re: Proof Of Concept, Flowing Text Around Left-Aligned Image

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: Proof Of Concept, Flowing Text Around Left-Aligned Image
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:41:17 +1100

On 22/12/23 04:25, Deri wrote:
The example pdfs in the "doc" section of the groff release are good examples
of what can be achieved with groff. Particularly Peter's mom examples which
come with the source code as well.

They are excellent documents, and if I had been starting out in groff a decade ago I would be using the mom macro set as a matter of course.

I was trying to show what could be done without using macros (albeit a pretty rough and ready example that could easily be improved). Most newcomers are so overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of groff that they either try to use the "wrong" macros or they assume that what they want can't be done.

There has been a call for a repository of documents that show how to do a things. I think this call has arisen because most people cannot cope with being given a 300 page manual in answer to "[How do|Can] I do X?".

That is why I attached a formatted PDF file that showed the result in what I hoped was a "real world example" of a single topic and showed how I did it (which was actually the source code). I should have spent more time on the explanation.

Robert
You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
  -- Rabindranath Tagore