Re: Is there a Groff showcase?

From: Thomas Dupond
Subject: Re: Is there a Groff showcase?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:46:44 +0100

Le 2023-12-16 à 09:44, Mike a écrit :
>> A showcase as like at a trade show?
>
>> I think it would be better to have easy to understand single topic
> prove-of-concepts samples, a bin to throw in and a whatever-grep-
> function for searching.
>
> My original thought was:
>
> Is there a website where the various document layouts and visual
> capabilities of groff are displayed?
>
> - Drop caps

A paper with drop caps can be found here:
https://www.froude.eu/groff/documents/moyal-dirac.html

> - Text in the margin
> - Text around an image or quote

Some example of this can be found here:
https://www.froude.eu/groff/examples/one-page-dungeon.html

Tangentially, gray alternating backgrounds in tables, here: https://www.froude.eu/groff/examples/table-background.html

> - Custom bullet points
> - Coloured text boxes
> - Custom paper sizes

This paper has coloured text and custom paper:
https://www.froude.eu/groff/documents/conference.html

> I have found information on technical aspects of groff and people here
> have been kind enough to point me toward some useful online resources.
>
> However, I have not seen any resources which focus on the visual
> aspects.
>
> This would allow people, including myself, to see at a glance how groff
> visually stacks up against word processors, LaTeX and desktop
> publishing software. To see if groff is the right choice for their
> project.
>
> I am, currently, exploring to find the visual boundaries of the
> software and any help from groff users would be appreciated.
>
> Has anyone achieved flowing text around an image or text box, I would
> love to know? (I have seen discussion on this topic, but no examples).
>
> Mike

I maintain www.froude.eu/groff after some people asked for a repository for useful macros and examples to be avaible in one place.

This is far from perfect. As you said, a more visual presentation would be preferable and a lot more examples are needed. If you have a quick sketch as to how you would prefer the website to be presented, I can try to achieve the layout you prefer.

I welcome any contribution :)
--
Thomas