Re: Proposed GNU troff behavior change: require end-of-input macros to e

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Proposed GNU troff behavior change: require end-of-input macros to exit
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 15:51:26 -0600

At 2023-12-17T21:13:27+0000, Deri wrote:
> Add .fl after Hello. :-)

A quick experiment reveals that `br` has the same effect, which means
that a different documentary statement of mine is wrong:

--snip--
   What if the file ends before enough words have been collected to fill
an output line?  Or the output line is exactly full but not yet broken,
and there is no more input?  GNU 'troff' interprets the end of input as
a break.  Certain requests also cause breaks, implicitly or explicitly.
This is discussed in *note Manipulating Filling and Adjustment::.
--end snip--

"GNU 'troff' interprets the end of input as a break."

Guess I'm going to have to walk that back.

That puts me back in the position of not knowing how to distinguish `fl`
and `br`.

Regards,
Branden