Re: Updating eqn

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Updating eqn
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 19:57:06 -0600

At 2023-12-08T14:00:30+1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> > (And one of these days I'd like to support cube roots and subscripts
> > and superscripts on the left side of symbols. I'd like to bring
> > eqn's capabilities closer to those of TeX. I hate typing in all
> > those backslashes.)
>
> You just do a subscript or superscript of nothing immediately preceding
> the primary subject, e.g. to produce a left subscript of 'x':
>
>       "" sub 3 x

Yes.  The predefined macro "nothing" will do the same thing, in case you
find that more self-descriptive.

I would probably write an eqn macro to handle generalized radicals like
this, to also reduce the size of the superscript and maybe even move it
to "tuck" it above the bend of the radical sign.

Here's something I knocked together in a few minutes to achieve this,
embedded in an ms(7) document.

.LP
.EQ
define radical ! size -3 { up 100 { fwd 100 { $1 } } back 50 nothing } sqrt {
$2 } !
radical(3, x sup 2)
.EN

Regards,