-man fails to use ANSI commands

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: -man fails to use ANSI commands
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 14:53:24 +0300

Hello, all

`groff -man -Tutf8'  does  not  seem  to handle font
styles on my terminal.  I have made sure that  plain
`groff' works as expected:

                     This is
                     .ft B
                     strange
                     .ft R
                     indeed.
                     .pl \n[nl]

The  word  `strange' above is typeset in bold, which
on my terminal looks both bright and bold.   A  test
man-page, however, is output all in the same default
font style and color:

                    .TH 3 test
                    .SH Section
                    This is
                    .B strange
                    indeed.

whereas `man -l` renders the same source  correctly,
with  the  words `Section' and `strange' highlighted
and bold.

The incorrect output from -man shows that  it  tries
to make characters bold by typing them over, e.g.:

            s^Hst^Htr^Hra^Han^Hng^Hge^He

instead of using ANSI control codes, and this has no
intended effect.  How can I cause `-man  -Tutf8'  to
use ANSI codes?