Re: Leaders

From: Lennart Jablonka
Subject: Re: Leaders
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:04:41 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
At 2023-09-02T22:35:25+0000, Lennart Jablonka wrote:
No, there aren’t.   Your message does not contain the SOH bytes;  you
could as well put replacement “^A”s there.

I was attempting to suggest their presence.

My tone was too accusatory. Yes, you did do that. It worked for me. I make the suggestion that you make it easier for the reader by using “^A.”

The point is that the width of the line of periods is determined by
its position on the input line.

Yes, that's...what I guess we call "non-line-tabs mode".  Someone who
hasn't posted here in a while suggested that we don't need names for
modes like that, even (or especially?) when they're the default.

That is confusing, yet it also doesn’t usually matter:  You seldom use
tabs or leaders in filled text.

Even if that is the case, we should explicitly specify the behavior, and
document it in a way that is comprehensible to users.

I challenge you to explain the following.

ok

$ cat EXPERIMENTS/long-leader2.roff
.ds ld \a\"
.ta \n(.lu
.nf
.\" The default line length is 65n.
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
.fi
The mansion into which my Val had ventured to make forcible
entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded\*(ld
.sp
The mansion into which my Val had ventured to make forcible en-
trance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded\*(ld
.sp
entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded\*(ld
$ nroff EXPERIMENTS/long-leader2.roff | cat -s
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
The  mansion  into which my Val had ventured to make forcible en‐
trance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded....

I would have expected the periods to continue until column 63. Three periods are missing. Here, Heirloom troff does what I expect. Yes, this seems like a bug in groff, though I am tempted to say something like “grotty is an approximation of the real output anyway; what do you expect?”

If the three extra periods were there, it would be correct: The number of periods would be the same as that of those in the third paragraph, as its input line is the same as this one.

The mansion into which my Val had ventured to make  forcible  en‐
trance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded........

This is correct: You have a line in the input that appears unbroken as its own line in the output. The leader ends at the tab stop.

entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded.......

same here

At least one of those must be wrong, don't you think?

Yes, the first one is off a little.