(Re)setting page and footnote numbers

From: Pippo Carmona
Subject: (Re)setting page and footnote numbers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 20:22:12 +0800

Greetings!

I am currently making a compilation of technical essays by merging
multiple pdfs made with Groff. However, one problem that I have is that
each chapter is made independently, making each chapter start at page
1. So when I merge the chapters, the page number reverts to 1 at the
beginning of each.

How can I set the page number of a specific file into a set number and increment from thereon? I have tried the man macro -rPnnn but it won't work with my document.

I haven't found the solution to the above so I made another document with all
the chapters in one .ms file. The problem with this is that all footnote
numbers increment until the end. So, if chapter 1 ends with 18
footnotes, the footnotes of chapter 2 proceeds with 19. I want each
chapter's footnotes to start with 1. Can this be accomplished?