Re: interviews with groff developers

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: interviews with groff developers
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 04:55:56 -0400

On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 21:52:26 -0400
Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> I can edit the content of figures, which I believe is impossible in
> PDF. One use of this capability is to overcome a
> deficiency in pic: filling polygons.

I'm surprised you're forced to edit the object code.  What is missing
in the pic output that prevents the filling of polygons?

troff has no concept of "box" or "circle", and \M relies on a "closed
object".  If the polygon is identifiable at the troff level, why can't
it be filled there, just by inserting the appropriate troff into the
pic diagram?

--jkl