Re: [PROPOSAL] time zones and reproducible builds (was: How to make grof

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] time zones and reproducible builds (was: How to make groff use local timezone?)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:59:04 -0500

[adding Deri to CC]

At 2023-07-09T13:24:27+0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 02:42:55AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > So, how about the attached patch?
>
> I somehow neglected to update doc/groff.texi.  Here's an updated
> version.

I have no objection to this patch.  I think Colin is right that none
but reproducible-build mavens are going to use $SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH.

I am curious to see some concrete examples of the sorts of shenanigans
TZ is used for in reproducible build testing, which foreclose the groff
1.23.0 approach as far as Debian (and presumably others) are concerned.

Also, we should solicit a +1 from Deri for the gropdf patch.  I'm
attaching just that part for his convenience.

Regards,
Branden