early adopters of groff 1.23.0

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: early adopters of groff 1.23.0
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:43:02 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to see that even in the absence of an official announcement
(so far), distributors are getting their hands on the still piping-fresh
groff 1.23.0 release.

Over the course of the release cycle, I've kept my eye on repology.org
to see who's been taking up the release candidates.  That monitoring has
not been wholly disappointing, but it has underscored the importance of
producing official releases.  No matter how solid your code quality,
many people will not take up your work until you pronounce it "ready".

I'd like to recognize the following distributions for moving fast.

* Alpine Linux Edge
* Carbs Linux
* Gentoo
* KaOS Build
* Termux

As a Termux user on my tablet, the last makes me especially happy.

DistroWatch also caught wind of Bertrand's upload, possibly by
monitoring the FSF's mirror network.

I've poked into details some of these where possible and seen good
indicators: successful builds on multiple architectures, patches being
dropped as upstream/unnecessary, and so forth.  I also now have concrete
evidence that GNU diffutils 3.10 really did fix the problem its 3.9
release was causing for gdiffmk (it also screwed up groff 1.22.4).

So: early signs are positive!

Regards,
Branden