An example of a multiplication table: some unresolved questions

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: An example of a multiplication table: some unresolved questions
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 12:03:22 +0200

Dear All,

the attached attempt to create a multiplication table was inspired by
https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Multiplication_tables

but I fail to do the right thing with regard to typesetting the computed
output.

I followed the groff manual, section Tabs and Fields, and set up my tab
positions as follows:

.ta 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR 4mR

So, 12 tab stops at a distance of 4 m (I never have more than three
digits in my table example), all right-justified.

However, the \t escape seems to be completely ignored.

The alternative, conditionally prepending \~ if \n[p] < 100 and \~\~ if
\n[p] < 10 also seems to fail.

Thank you all for your enlightenment!

Best regards, Oliver.

--