Re: Mission statement and Knuth-Plass reconsidered

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Mission statement and Knuth-Plass reconsidered
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 15:55:36 -0500

At 2023-05-23T21:29:45+0100, Deri wrote:
> It is a strange pdf, possibly because it has come from a TugBoat
> volume, I have found an alternative download which is less than half
> the size, but the same number of pages.
>
> I don't know whether you would consider the font more handsome, or
> whether it is a surfeit of beauty given the pdf contains 163 different
> fonts!

If I zoom the document to 400%, my objections to the main face used
evaporate.

It might be terrible hinting turning the typeface into 50 miles of bad
road with the axles welded to the frame.

> Anyway, try this one:-
>
> http://luc.devroye.org/HanTheThanh-Dissertation-2000.pdf

It doesn't seem that different to me, but I'm noticing new anomalies,
like the heretofore undiscoverd "Mi" ligature and then an italic face
gasping and blowing like an accordionst on electroconvulsive therapy.

Attached.

Regards,
Branden