Re: Explanations with an EQN User Guide

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Explanations with an EQN User Guide
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 11:03:55 -0500

Hi Doug,

At 2023-05-23T11:07:46-0400, Douglas McIlroy wrote:
> The new wording in groff(7) seems to explain everything--a great
> improvement. But knowing how it works is not the same as knowing how
> to use it.

True!  groff(7) isn't, and isn't intended to be, good at that.

> In the absence of any useful examples, I think a hazard warning in the
> user guide is preferable to an explanatory essay.

In the absense of useful example of tab usage in eqn(1) input?  Yeah,
I've never seen any and am dubious of the prospect.

> Maybe tabs in eqn should be officially deprecated. Does anyone
> disagree?

Official deprecation feels a bit strong, but I can easily see throwing a
warning diagnostic upon seeing them, and upon seeing leaders.  Maybe
that would amount to the same thing in practice.  ("The only way to shut
GNU eqn up is to take the tabs out!")

I'm angling to bring tab and leader handling into parity in GNU eqn
anyway.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64239

Regards,
Branden