Re: thin_space causes collateral damage in eqn

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: thin_space causes collateral damage in eqn
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:13:52 +1000 (AEST)

On Wed, 17 May 2023, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

First of all, I predictably forgot my attachment of the retypeset AT&T
eqn user's guide.  So let me fix that.

I noticed. But I had my own copy so no problems.

The documentation says that *_space are only for automatic spacing.

...but automatic spacing applies to anything that has a "type" in GNU
eqn jargon, so this is consistent with Doug's observation.

Yes.

In other words, with its application to ^ and ~ tokens being a bug.

We are on the same page there. It is definitely a bug.

I actually cannot see where the meaning of either '~' or '^' is
defined in the GNU eqn(1) manual page.

They aren't.  Practically no AT&T eqn features are.

Good. My eyes are not so old then.

One can argue that there needs to be

        thin_space_user
        thick_space_user

if control is needed over those for the user's deliberately defined
cases.

That said, they should be called

        full_space_user
        half_space_user

because that is what they technically are. We could just drop the
'_user' and note in the documentation that they are
explicitly/deliberately forced into the said equation by '~' and '^'
respectively.

I like this idea.  "{full,half}_space_width" might be even better.

I like your names but adding '_width' is inconsistent with those other
'_space' names so you are changing the status quo which is probably less than productive. Then again, maybe we should add '_width' to those other names. I will leave that discussion for others.

Bye-bye from Oz - Damian