Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:35:26 +0200

Hi Branden,

On 4/29/23 21:18, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2023-04-29T21:05:36+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> BTW, I didn't ask explicitly, but I also would like to know why I
>> don't notice any effects of HP (apart from the reported regression)
>> Is it safe if I replace it with PP, or is there some special
>> formatting that my eyes aren't seeing?
>
> If your paragraph is only one output line long, it is impossible to tell
> whether `HP` has been used.  I presume that is one of the reasons the
> second paragraph below, something similar to which goes back many years,
> is in groff_man(7).
>
>     .HP [indentation]
>         Set up a paragraph with a hanging left indentation.  The
>         indentation argument, if present, is handled as with .TP.
>
>         Use of this presentation‐oriented macro is deprecated.  A
>         hanging indentation cannot be expressed naturally under HTML,
>         and non‐roff‐based man page interpreters may treat .HP as an
>         ordinary paragraph.  Thus, information or distinctions you mean
>         to express with indentation may be lost.

Ahh, I was expecting that the first line would be the one with negative
indentation, instead of the rest being indented.  Now it makes sense.
Especially after having seen the effects in groff-1.22.4.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5