Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Inter-paragraph separation modified by HP
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:18:41 -0500

At 2023-04-29T21:05:36+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> BTW, I didn't ask explicitly, but I also would like to know why I
> don't notice any effects of HP (apart from the reported regression)
> Is it safe if I replace it with PP, or is there some special
> formatting that my eyes aren't seeing?

If your paragraph is only one output line long, it is impossible to tell
whether `HP` has been used.  I presume that is one of the reasons the
second paragraph below, something similar to which goes back many years,
is in groff_man(7).

    .HP [indentation]
        Set up a paragraph with a hanging left indentation.  The
        indentation argument, if present, is handled as with .TP.

        Use of this presentation‐oriented macro is deprecated.  A
        hanging indentation cannot be expressed naturally under HTML,
        and non‐roff‐based man page interpreters may treat .HP as an
        ordinary paragraph.  Thus, information or distinctions you mean
        to express with indentation may be lost.

Regards,
Branden