Re: Comprehension problem with macros

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Comprehension problem with macros
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:11:02 +0100

Hi Branden,

> > yes, I remember having heard of the two different modes
>
> "Copy mode" and (not copy mode), which didn't have a name in CSTR #54.
> (Terser is better.  :-| )

No name is needed.  It would be clutter to add it.  troff is either in
copy mode or is not in copy mode.  There is no need for a not-copy mode
term.

There are quite a few modes in troff, e.g. ligature.  There isn't a
special term for not being in ligature mode.  Creating a mode ‘bar’ to
indicate the mode isn't ‘foo’ increases what needs to be learnt and
remembered from one term to two terms and the relationship between them.

--
Cheers, Ralph.