Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: pdfroff in groff 1.23.0.rc3 changes compared to 1.22.4
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 03:35:15 +1000

>  Yes.  Though it contains device-dependent troff output.  :-)

Aye, but most folks would find that less confusing than a format named
after a fish <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout>… ;-)

>  The ‘dit’ suffix is probably what I've seen the most.

Same, although I personally prefer to use .ditroff for long-term storage of
ditroff source (say, a fixture tracked by version control).

> Also, the ‘out’ seems wrong. So many files are the output of something yet
> don't have that in their suffix.  a.out seems to have that honour as it
> nabbed it first.

Agreed. I also see *.out and *.err files generated by unit-tests that dump
their stdout and stderr streams (respectively). On a related note, I used
to use .out as the file-extension of Roff.js's test-fixtures. I later
regretted that when I added fixtures for Osanna troff's output (raw binary
containing C/A/T driver instructions). Though in hindsight, *.cat was
probably a better choice of extension…