Re: Proposed: an eqn keyword change: gfont -> gifont

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Proposed: an eqn keyword change: gfont -> gifont
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 11:46:14 +0100

Hi Branden,

>     gbfont f
>         Set the bold font to f.
>
>     gifont f
>         Set the italic font to f.
>
>     grfont f
>         Set the roman font to f.
>
>     For AT&T eqn compatibility, gfont is recognized as a synonym for
>     gifont.

    gbfont f
        Set the bold font to f.

    gfont f
    gifont f
        Set the italic font to f.  gifont is a GNU extension.

    grfont f
        Set the roman font to f.

I think ‘is a GNU extension’ is typical language for GNU documentation.

> -  { "gfont", GIFONT },
> +  { "gifont", GIFONT },
> +  { "gfont", GIFONT }, // for backward compatibility
> -    lex_error("invalid argument to gfont primitive");
> +    lex_error("invalid argument to gifont primitive");

The user should see a message which uses the keyword they entered.
It's annoying to search for ‘gifont’ and not find it, as will be typical.

One way to do this would be to have GFONT and GIFONT and only treat them
the same later on.

--
Cheers, Ralph.