An ignoramus question about textmap

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: An ignoramus question about textmap
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 10:03:17 +0200

Dear All,

please forgive me if I am asking a blatantly uninformed question.

Currently I am trying to add a font containing Greek and Cyrillic
characters to groff by using Peter Schaffter's install-font.sh script,
following the steps T. Kurt Bond's summary.[1]

Starting with the font in my working directory, the script asks for a
file named textmap. I found one in
/usr/share/groff/current/font/devpdf/map/, and the same file in
../devps/generate/.

I opened textmap in order to get an idea of its contents, and while I
think I understand its basic structure I did not find comprehensive
entries for Greek and Cyrillic.

Are these optional or mandatory? If mandatory, is there an "official"
list of character names I have to adhere to?

Thank you very much for your enlightenment,

Oliver.

[1]
https://tkurtbond.github.io/posts/2021/07/17/groff-and-install-fontsh-and-installing-fonts-for-use-in-groff/

--