Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: macOS Terminal man page URL format
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 07:24:52 +1100

> I would prefer to hold macOS up to ridicule in this respect in hopes of
> motivating its users (and developers) to standardize on something.

By "standardise", are you specifically referring to a *de jure* standard?
macOS's x-man-page:// scheme is only a *de facto* standard, but it's by far
the oldest, best-known, and widely-supported man-page URL scheme on macOS,
even recently.

Yes, but you have actually encountered these in practical experience.

It wasn't a practical encounter. I was actively researching how authors
have approached the issue of man-page hyperlinks in the past (not just on
macOS, but *any* Unix-like system). I did this to make Roff.js's URI
handling functions as airtight as possible.

That creates more places for something to go wrong.

Yeah, true. Forget about the callback idea, then. :-)

BTW, what file should I apply your patch to? I'm getting an error when I
attempt to apply it:

$ git apply ~/Downloads/macOS-man-grief.diff
error: patch failed: tmac/man.local:14
error: tmac/man.local: patch does not apply

Remember, this is with the latest Groff sources, which still aren't
building successfully on macOS…