Re: Question about makevarescape.sed in groff-1.22.4 tarball

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Question about makevarescape.sed in groff-1.22.4 tarball
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:16:26 -0600

Hi Mike,

At 2023-01-14T04:49:08+0000, Mike Fulton wrote:
> The last line of the makevarescape.sed is:
>
> ```
> s|[^ ]/\+|&\\\\:|g
> ```
>
> I do not understand why it is making the change it is,

It is adding hyphenless break points to file specifications and URLs.
This is mentioned in the groff_man(7) page.

              When rendered by groff to a TTY or PostScript output de‐
              vice,

                     Contact
                     .MT fred.foonly@\:fubar.net
                     Fred Foonly
                     .ME
                     for more information.

              displays   as:   “Contact   Fred   Foonly  ⟨fred.foonly@
              fubar.net⟩ for more information.”.

              The use  of  ‘\:’  to  insert  hyphenless  discretionary
              breaks is a groff extension and can be omitted.

The overall function of makevarescape.sed is explained around line 825
of the "Makefile.am" file.

> but if I do
>
> ```
> ./configure
> --prefix=/Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine<mailto:--prefix=/Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine>
> ```

This looks like it might have been double-pasted...is that right?

> On my Mac, or a similar type of line under z/OS, then the man pages
> seem to have strange escape sequences added to them.  For example, on
> my Mac, this results in the line:
>
> ```
> .I
> /Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine/share/groff/1.22.4/tmac/\:tty\-char.tmac<mailto:/Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine/share/groff/1.22.4/tmac/\:tty\-char.tmac>
> ```
>
> Being generated in the ./src/roff/nroff/nroff.1 file

Maybe it wasn't double-pasted.  If not, then I feel like a ./configure
prefix setting of this complexity was not anticipated by groff, and
possibly not by other software using GNU Autotools, either.

Please confirm:

You can

cd
/Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine<mailto:--prefix=/Users/fultonm@ca.ibm.com/Documents/Development/mine>