Re: Parallel Typesetting

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Parallel Typesetting
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 23:24:51 +0200

> With a little more macro magic, I would assume it wouldn't be
> too much trouble for both pages to have the same content for a
> portion of it, such as with an illustration, say, or a math
> equation.

Indeed, that should be possible without much work.  In the
simplest case, one could just duplicate the material, but you
might just as well write a macro that simply appends to both
diversions.  In the example, every language change starts a new
paragraph, but this doesn't have to be.  The important thing is
just that the two diversions are synchronized in length when
switching back to the first language (and output if enough
material for a whole page has been gathered[*]).

[*]This wasn't implemented correctly, but is fixed now.
(Everything was just flushed out at the end, which is very
inefficient if many pages were being processed, because
it results in mostly just copying overflowing formatted
material around.)

I have now also uploaded a minimal version with a few comments
indicating the purpose of the macros, and added a few features,
such as the use of separate environments for the two languages
(this would be useful for synchronizing the diversions anywhere
in mid-sentence without needing a paragraph break, since the
partially collected line could remain in the environment,
to be resumed later).