Re: .TQ to replace .PD 0

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: .TQ to replace .PD 0
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 21:24:40 +1000

Hi Ralph,

> Support of modern font technologies and of course languages which aren't
left-to-right.

Agreed. But for everything else you've mentioned: it's just a matter of
writing another PDF postprocessor (or some other adapter for a particular
format). Postprocessors are where the real beauty of Troff's staying power
shines.

> but the modern graphics model of PDF has moved on a lot from theirs and
isn't targeted. Images and SVG as first-class objects.  Transformation
matrices. Advanced colour handling.  Text-flow layout.

PDF's graphics model hasn't changed, and SVG isn't a first class object in
PDF documents. Are you conflating it with web browsers and HTML/CSS?
Because that's a completely different beast to PDF…